Friday, June 13, 2008
This Korean style spice glazed wings is called Yangyum dahk in Korean. This dish is so popular in Korea that there are chain restaurants everywhere just like KFC or Popeyes but instead selling this spice glazed chicken and other Korean style chicken wings. This is spicy but also has a sour tomato base. The sauce is easy to make once you have your chickens fried. Just follow the steps below.
1. Pour milk into chicken wings. Milk will get rid of any bloody flavor of chicken and make it taste smooth.
2. Add 2tbsp of minced garlic and sprinkle some black pepper.
3. You let the wings get marinated into milk for 20 minutes.
4. Then drain out the milk, preserving the garlic pieces.
5. Pour 3tbsp of sake (rice wine) into the wings.
6. Sprinkle some smoked paprika powder and ginger powder.
7. Mix it around and you need to put this in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
8. Now it's time to start making some batter. It won't be much of liquid batter. Instead, add 4:1 ratio of flour and corn starch to the wings and mix them around.
9. Now prepare a container with corn starch.
10. Throw chicken wings into corn starch and let the powder get onto the meat thoroughly. Make sure you do this quickly and throw it into the hot oil for frying while the corn starch is still dry on the outside. Once the chicken soaks up the powder, you will not get a crispy clothing after you deep fry them.
11. Deep fry the wings for the first time. Do not make the oil extremely hot for the first time. You can leave the oil in medium high heat for about 10-15 minutes before deep frying. This way, you get to slowly cook the chickens thoroughly all the way inside for the first time. Take about 10 minutes to cook. It's always a good idea to take a sample to see if it's been fully cooked, though.
Once you take the chickens out, you will have nice and crispy wings. You can still eat the wings at this stage, however, normally chickens are fried for the second time to make sure it gets very crispy. If the chickens are crispy enough for your taste at this stage, and the chickens are fully cooked, you might as well skip second frying.
This is what it looks like after deep frying for the second time.
Have a closer look.
12. So now, let's make the sauce. First put a spoon of minced garlic on a hot pan.
13. Then add Gochujang (Click on this link for more info red pepper paste), and ketchup to the mix.
14. Add little bit of water. I think 1 cup is good. Also, add a table spoon of soy sauce, sake, vinegar, and corn syrup.
15. Add corn starch. You need to mix the corn starch in 3 table spoons of "cold" water before adding. If you just add the corn starch powder into this hot sauce, it will form chunks and will be very ugly.
16. Finally, add little bit of brown sugar. Keep tasting the sauce to cater to your taste buds. There is really no fixed formula to make the sauce that you think tastes good.
Simply dip the fried chickens into the sauce or pour the sauce over the chickens.
Add sesame seeds. Sometimes people sprinkle crushed peanuts and it tastes just as good. Enjoy!